Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why Start a Blog about Modern Board Games?

First of all, welcome to my new blog about board gaming, Making Moves.  Thanks for stopping by - it's nice to have a new reader.  I hope you will enjoy my musings enough to come back later for another visit.  Comments would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be even more honored if you were to subscribe.

As quick background information, I have been active in the modern board gaming hobby over the past four years.  It started out slowly, with a couple of games like Runebound and Descent, but my passion has gradually and steadily increased to the point where I own and have played around 80 different games (which is not many by some standards!).  I also formed and organize a board gaming group in Winston-Salem, NC called Camel City Gamers.  We currently get together about six or seven times a month, and the group has grown from a handful of members in late 2008 to over 150 members this year.  But enough with the background information... I said I'd keep it quick, didn't I?

For my inaugural post, I would like to relate several reasons why I want to start a blog about board gaming in the first place.  First, it's a way for me to express and share my passion for the board gaming hobby, to meet others who share this passion, and to hopefully promote the hobby to others who are less acquainted with it.  A second reason, equally important to me, is that it will enable me to develop my writing skills and hopefully acquire my writer's voice.  I really enjoy writing and would really like to become better at it. Lastly, over the past year or more, I have squandered many hours reading many posts on BoardGameGeek, a fair percentage of which have been of questionable value.  Beginning now, I would like to spend my time much more constructively.  For certain, I'll still visit that site, but I am hoping that by joining and contributing to the board game blogging community, I will greatly reduce the amount of time I spend there and make some new friends along the way.

So, what will I write about?  The answer to that question is a resounding "I'm not entirely sure yet, but I know I will write!"  I will definitely post reviews of games I like or don't like. And I intend to write introductory posts for those new to the hobby, to welcome them through the door.  I will probably write opinions about game genres or mechanics (to the extent that I understand them).  I may post session reports.  In short, I hope to write about a lot things and just see where it all evolves.  If you have a particular suggestion about topics for a new blogger, or about blogging in general, I'm all ears!

In closing, welcome again, and I hope to see you back soon!

4 comments:

  1. I like what I see!! More please... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world. I hope you enjoy writing as much as playing the games themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came,
    I read,
    I applauded...{clap}{clap}{clap}

    You are off to a great start and I look forward to your next post.

    Debbie Caudill

    ReplyDelete